100g chorizo, finely chopped
75g plain flour
75g polenta or cornmeal (available in most supermarkets)
1 tablespoon caster sugar
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 large free-range egg
300ml soured cream
200g tinned sweetcorn, drained
50g Cheddar cheese, grated
YOU WILL NEED:
12-hole muffin tin
Paper muffin cases
Small frying pan
2 large mixing bowls
View an easy to print version
Sweetcorn and Chorizo Cornbread Muffins
SERVES: Makes 12
Tasty little savoury muffins, brilliant in packed lunches or served with soup, chilli or a salad. They are delicious warm from the oven.
1. Fill the muffin tin with paper cases. Preheat the oven to 220˚C/200˚C fan/gas mark 7.
2. Ask an adult to help you fry the chorizo in a small frying pan for about 2 minutes – you won’t need to add oil to the pan because there is plenty in the chorizo. Tip the cooked chorizo into a little bowl and leave to cool.
3. Combine the flour, polenta, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl and make a well in the centre using a wooden spoon. In another mixing bowl, combine the egg, soured cream, sweetcorn, cheese and chorizo. Pour the wet ingredients into the well of flour and mix using a fork until it has just come together. Be careful not to overmix it.
4. Spoon about 2 heaped dessertspoons of the mixture into each hole of the muffin tin. Make sure the muffin holes are evenly filled and you use up all of the mixture.
5. Ask an adult to put the tray in the oven and bake for 10–15 minutes. When they are cooked, they will be lovely and golden and a skewer will come out clean. Leave in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn onto a wire rack to cool. Serve them warm, or allow them to cool completely – either way, enjoy!
STORAGE: Store in an airtight container and eat within 2–3 days.