1 tsp butter or oil
2 medium leeks (200g) shredded
2 spring onions, shredded
200g new potatoes, parboiled till tender and allowed to cool
1 tbsp plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp Greek yogurt
100g blue cheese
1 tsp sea salt flakes
Blue Cheese, Leek and Potato Puff Bake
This is light and delicious, with a strong savoury tang of blue cheese. The pre-cooked potatoes are high in resistant starch, making them a feast for your gut bacteria, yet it puffs up beautifully and is also super adaptable. You can use other cheeses or add herbs or spices to change the flavour. It tastes good cold as well as warm, and keeps for a couple of days in the fridge.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30–35 minutes (plus parboiling the potatoes in advance, 10–15 minutes)
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/400°F/Gas mark 6. Line a 7 inch/18cm square baking tin with non-stick paper.
2. Sauté the leeks and spring onions for 10 minutes and set aside. Grate the potatoes.
3. Mix the potatoes, flour and baking powder together in a large bowl. Beat the eggs well in another bowl or cup, then add to the dry ingredients. Mix in the cooked leeks and onions, followed by the yogurt and two-thirds of the blue cheese. Season.
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin. Sprinkle over the last of the blue cheese.
5. Bake for 20–25 minutes till brown and puffed up.
6. Cut and serve warm or cold with a tomato salad.
Variation: replace leeks with steamed fine asparagus and the blue cheese with goat’s cheese for a light springtime version with similar calories.