100g cooking chorizo, diced
1 red onion, sliced into wedges
2 red peppers, deseeded and thickly sliced
400g can of chopped tomatoes
½ tsp hot paprika
1 tsp oregano
150g spinach, well washed
2 tbsp finely chopped parsley, to garnish
To serve (optional):
Baked Eggs with Chorizo and Red Peppers
As everyone probably knows by now, I completely LOVE eggs. This makes an amaaaazing brunch or lunch dish - loads of flavour and super easy to put together.
244 calories per serving • Prep: 10 minutes • Cooking: 25 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Add a teaspoon of olive oil to an ovenproof frying pan and pile in the chorizo, onion wedges and red peppers.
- Cook for several minutes until the onions and peppers have started to soften, then add the tomatoes, paprika and oregano. Simmer for 10 minutes until the sauce has reduced a little. Pile the spinach on top and leave it for a few seconds to wilt down, then stir it into the sauce.
- Make 4 shallow indentations in the sauce with a spoon, then carefully crack an egg into each one.
- Put the pan in the oven and bake for 10 minutes, until the whites of the eggs are set, but the yolks are still runny. Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle over some parsley.
- Serve with toast and perhaps some yoghurt on the side if you like.
Davina’s tip: If you’re cutting back on meat or you prefer a vegetarian brunch, leave out the chorizo and add some extra smoked paprika to taste.